DEPARTAMENTO DE FÍSICA
Electromagnetism I - F+EF+mnrF+mnrBF
Ano letivo: 2015-2016
|course code||cycle os studies||academic semester||credits ECTS||teaching language|
Deepening of the knowledge in an essential field of physics: electromagnetism.
Ability to search and use bibliography, organizing a consistent amount of information regarding the mentioned field.
Ability to solve problems, including the development of mathematical competences appropriate for this purpose.
Ability to implement simple experiments concerning the contents of the curricular unit.
Contribution to the growth of general culture regarding physics and for the knowledge of multiple applications of electromagnetism to modern societies.
Competences in analysis and summary.
Competences in organization and planning.
Competences in oral and written communication.
Competences in group work.
Competences in critical thinking.
Competences to communicate with people who are not specialists in this field.
Adaptability to new situations.
Concern with quality.
Competences to apply the theoretical knowledge in pratice.
1. Electrostatic field: Gauss?s law; electric field and electric potential; local equations of the electrostatic field and boundary conditions. Poisson and Laplace equations. Energy stored in the electric field.
2. Fields in dielectric media; classification of the dielectrics.
3. Magnetic field: Ampère?s law. Magnetic flux and Gauss?s law for the magnetic field. Local equations and boundary conditions for the magnetic field. Mutual and self-inductance. Energy stored in the magnetic field. Lorentz force and its applications.
4. Fields in magnetic media; behaviour of the various magnetic materials.
5. Electromagnetic induction: Faraday and Lenz?s laws. Maxwell equations. Wave equations for the electric and magnetic fields; unification of electromagnetism and optics. Poynting?s Theorem. Hertz experiment.
6. Transition regimes and stationary regimes in different types of circuits; oscillating circuits; analysis of circuits with alternating voltage sources.
General Physics I, General Physics II, Mathematical Analysis I, Mathematical Analysis II
Generic skills to reach
. Competence in analysis and synthesis;
. Competence in oral and written communication;
. Critical thinking;
. Quality concerns;
. Self-criticism and self-evaluation;
. Competence in organization and planning;
. Competence for working in group;
. Competence to communicate with people who are not experts in the field;
. Adaptability to new situations;
. Competence in applying theoretical knowledge in practice;
(by decreasing order of importance)
Teaching hours per semester
|total of teaching hours||75|
|Laboratory or field work||20 %|
|Problem solving||5 %|
Bibliography of reference
Griffiths, D. J., Introduction to Electrodynamics. 3rd ed. Prentice Hall International, Inc., New Jersey, 1999.
Brito, L., Fiolhais, M. e Providência, C., Campo Electromagnético, Ed. McGraw-Hill de Portugal, 1999.
Henriques, A. B. e Romão, J. C., Electromagnetismo, IST Press, Lisboa, 2006.
Feynman, R. P., Leigton, R. B. e Sands, M., The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Vol. 2, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1977.
Lorrain, P., Corson, D. e Lorrain, F., Campos e Ondas Electromagnéticas, Ed. Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Lisboa, 2000.
Wangsness, R. K., Electromagnetic Fields. 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Nova Iorque, 1979.
Classes for presentation of the essential concepts with the reflection on the way these concepts were established. Classes for discussion/resolution of problems related to practical situations, orders of magnitude, estimates on the physical quantities concerning the electromagnetism. Laboratory classes to perform some experiments to illustrate essential concepts of electromagnetism. Support to students? individual work so that they can develop a work of information collection, analysis of that information and elaboration of their own notes on the subjects approached in this curricular unit.
Equipamento experimental existente nos laboratórios didácticos do Departamento de Física.