Deepen knowledge about the atomic and molecular structure in the context of quantum theory and get familiar with the essential aspects of atomic and molecular spectroscopy.
1. Hydrogenoid atoms: Schrödinger equation for hydrogenoid atoms; relation between magnetic dipole moment and angular momentum; Stern-Gerlach experiment; electron spin angular-momentum; spin-orbit interaction; fine and hyperfine structure of energy levels. Atoms in the presence of external fields: Zeeman and Stark effects. Interaction of hydrogenoid atoms with the electromagnetic radiation field: radiation emission and absorption; Radiative transitions and selection rules.
2. Polielectronic atoms: central field approximation; periodic table; electronic configurations and spectroscopy notation. Spin-orbit interaction; L-S and j-j coupling. Optical and X-ray spectra. Interaction with external magnetic fields: Zeeman and Paschen-Back effects.
3. Molecules: The molecular connection; electronic structure of diatomic molecules; H2+ hydrogen molecular ion; hydrogen molecule; complex molecules. Molecular spectra; rotational and vibrational levels; molecular electronic spectra.
4. Transition processes between atomic and molecular levels; notion of efficient section.
5. Lasers: conditions for laser emission; absorption and gain coefficients; amplitude and laser light phase.
General Physics, Electromagnetism I, Quantum Mechanics I, Mathematical Analysis I, II, III.
Generic skills to reach
. Competence in analysis and synthesis; . Competence to solve problems; . Critical thinking; . Adaptability to new situations; . Competence in applying theoretical knowledge in practice; . Competence in oral and written communication; . Competence for working in group; . Competence to communicate with people who are not experts in the field; . Ethical commitment; . Competence in autonomous learning; (by decreasing order of importance)
Teaching hours per semester
total of teaching hours
Laboratory or field work
assessment implementation in 20112012 Maria Margarida Feteira Ribeirete de Fraga
Bibliography of reference
BRANSDEN, B. H. & JOACHAIN, C. J. (2003). Physics of Atoms and Molecules. 2nd ed. Prentice Hall.
GRIFFITHS, D. Introduction to quantum mechanics.
EISBERG, R. & RESNICK, R. (1985). Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nucleus and Particles. 2nd ed. J. Wiley & Sons.
Teachers will deliver lecture classes, classes for analysis and discussion of some topics/problems and laboratory classes to accomplish practical assignments.
Laboratório de Física Moderna com recursos computacionais.