Educating for a thorough insight into the challenges and opportunities for instrumentation as a result of innovative approaches of ubiquitous and pervasive computing; Formation in informatic technology (microsystems), involving the study of different forms of organizational hardware and software for embedded systems;
Training in technology in Local Area Networks - wired and wireless (RF) - especially suited to the integration of distributed systems of data acquisition and automatic control;
Promoting the skill to design embedded systems through case studies and / or small projects, stimulating creativity in design and the critical ability for benchmarking solutions.
Competence in analysis and synthesis; Knowledge of a foreign language, competence in critical thinking.
1. Embedded computing;
2. Microsystems and microcontrollers technology
- Microsystem Components; CPU buses and structures; I / O devices; Memory: types, organization and management mechanisms; Counters and timers
- Microsystems architectures (von Neumann vs. Harvard)
- Microprogram structures and assembly language
- Management of computer processes and operating systems
3. Platform for embedded systems
- Microprocessors and microcontrollers
- External interaction: field interfaces and connectivity between computers
- Development Tools
4. Local networks for embedded systems
- Distributed embedded systems
- Wired network architectures - CANbus technology
- Architectures for wireless networks - the IEEE 802.15.4 technology.
5. Design of embedded systems
- Requirements analysis and specification
- Functional decomposition and system architecture
- Guidance for project quality and maintenance
Generic skills to reach
. Competence in analysis and synthesis; . Knowledge of a foreign language; . Critical thinking; . Competence in organization and planning; . Computer Skills for the scope of the study; . Competence in autonomous learning; . Creativity; (by decreasing order of importance)
Teaching hours per semester
total of teaching hours
Bibliography of reference
Wayne Wolfe, Computers as Components Principles of Embedded Computing Systems Design, San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Computer Architecture and Design, paperback), 2005. Jose A. Gutierrez, Edgar H. Callaway, and Raymond Barrett, Low-rate Wireless Personal Area Networks: Enabling Wireless Sensor Networks With IEEE 802.15.4, IEEE Press, 2003.
Partition of contact hours: Lectures 30h, Theoretical-Practical 0 h, Laboratory Practice 30h, Field Work 0h, Seminar 0h, Tutorial 0h, Other 0h.
Evaluation components and corresponding weights (as percentage) in the final grade
Project 40, Exam 60.
1. Lectures, in order to form a solid scientific and technical culture in the broad field of telematics technologies that form the basis of modern instrumentation systems.
2. Training in practical sessions and study of paradigmatic cases, in order to teach good practices and to develop decision-making capacities, critical evaluation and implementation of solutions.
Laboratório de Microsistemas, com os recursos e no âmbito das actividades do Laboratório de Automação e Instrumentação Industrial do Centro de Instrumentação do Departamento de Física da FCTUC.