*)N.B. if there are students who do not speak Portuguese the language is English.
- The phenomenology of Elementary Particle Physics in terms of the Standard Model.
- Calculation of the Feynman rules associated with a quanum theory with gauge invariance.
- Use of the renormalization group methods to calculate couplings at different scales.
- Use of the parton model and effective field models in the calculation of hadronic cross sections.
-Symmetries: chiral fermions, Noether theorem, Ward-Takahashi identities, gauge symmetries and Slavnov-Taylor identities
- Spontaneous symmetry breaking and Goldstone theorem
- The Standard Model Lagrangian: the electroweak and hadronic sectors, the Higgs sector.
- Quantization of the Standard Model Lagrangian
- QCD: asymptotic freedom and renormalization group
- The parton model
- The non-perturbatie regime of QCD and effective theory approaches
Generic skills to reach
. Competence in analysis and synthesis; . Competence to solve problems; . Critical thinking; . Competence in autonomous learning; . Research skills; . Competence in organization and planning; . Competence in oral and written communication; . Competence in information management; . Adaptability to new situations; . Creativity; (by decreasing order of importance)
Teaching hours per semester
total of teaching hours
Bibliography of reference
J. F. Donoghue, E. Golowich, B. R. Hostein, Dynamics of the Standard Model, CUP (Cambridge Monographs on Particle Physics, Nuclear Physics and Cosmology), 1996
E. Leader, E. Predassi, An Introduction to Gauge Theories and Modern Particle Physics, Vol 1 & 2, (Cambridge Monographs on Particle Physics, Nuclear Physics and Cosmology), 2008;
I.J. R. Aitchison and A.J.G. Hey, Gauge theories in particle physics, Vol. I & 2 (IoP publishing 2004)
S. Pokorski, Gauge field theories, 2nd edition, Cambridge university press.
Constant reference to the physical systems to which the quantum relativistic descriptions apply. Emphasis on the related mathematical techniques necessary to obtain particle properties.