- Acquisition of basic concepts regarding data analysis of direct and indirect measures of quantities: methods to adopt the best estimates for the values of measured quantities and parameters of functional correlation between different quantities; bases of the adjustment method by means of the Chi-square minimization.
- Development of experimental and laboratorial competences regarding the accomplishment of measures using different tools and acquisition of estimates for the measured quantities, focusing on the identification of the tools’ characteristics and the origins of systematic and random errors
- Organization and work method.
- Scientific communication by means of the elaboration of written reports.
- Use of computer tools to carry out a basic data processing in a spreadsheet.
The true value of a quantity. Errors in measures. Propagation of errors.
Distribution of probability.
The principle of the least squares and the principle of high probability.
Adoption of a better estimate for the true value of a quantity. Confidence intervals.
General notions of curve adjustment to experimental results. Adjustment of a straight line.
Assessment of the quality of an adjustment. The Chi-square test. Normalized Chi-square.
Some notions of basic instrumentation: multimeters, oscilloscope, etc..
Accomplishment of experimental assignments of direct and indirect measures of physical quantities.
The prerequisites of the first enrolment in the bachelor’s degree.
Generic skills to reach
. Competence in analysis and synthesis; . Computer Skills for the scope of the study; . Competence for working in group; . Critical thinking; . Competence in applying theoretical knowledge in practice; . Competence in organization and planning; . Competence in oral and written communication; . Competence to solve problems; . Adaptability to new situations; . Research skills; (by decreasing order of importance)
Teaching hours per semester
total of teaching hours
Laboratory or field work
assessment implementation in 20122013 Exam: 40.0% Laboratorial assignment : 60.0%
Bibliography of reference
CAMPOS, N. Ayres de. Introdução à análise de dados. Departamento de Física, U.C.
BEVINGTON, P.R. Data reduction and error analysis for the physical sciences. McGraw-Hill.
HUGHES, I.G. and HASE, T.P.A, Measurements and their uncertainties, Oxford Univ. Press, 2010
- Lecturing of the topics of the theoretical syllabus.
- Supervised accomplishment of practical assignments previously prepared in groups that are formed in accordance with a rotation system. Possible use of a laboratory logbook to register data. The last hour of the classes is intended to analyse and discuss the obtained results.
- Elaboration of reports that should include a presentation of the results using graphics and tables and their analysis and discussion.
. Equipamento laboratorial adequado aos trabalhos programados, em número suficiente para o funcionamento simultâneo de vários grupos de trabalho. . Guiões, notas de apoio e bibliografia específica de acordo com os conteúdos envolvidos em cada trabalho prático. . Computadores para tratamento de dados em folha de cálculo.