1. Electrostatic field: application of Gauss’s Law; relation between electric field and electric potential; local equations of the electrostatic field and boundary conditions. Poisson and Laplace equations for the electrical potential. Stored energy in the electrical field.
2. Dielectric media: fields in dielectric media; classification of the dielectrics.
3. Magnetic induction field: Ampère’s Law. Magnetic flux and Gauss’s Law for the magnetic field. Local equations and boundary conditions for the magnetic field. Mutual and self-inductance. Stored energy in the electrical field. Lorenz force and its applications.
4. Magnetism in material media: fields in magnetic media; behaviour of the various magnetic materials.
5. Electromagnetic induction: Faraday and Lenz’s Laws. Maxwell equations in the void. Wave equations for the electric and magnetic fields; unification of electromagnetism and optics. Poynting’s Theorem. Hertz experiment.
6. Electric circuits: transition regimes and stationary regimes in different types of circuits; oscillating circuits; analysis of circuits with alternating voltage sources.
Bibliography of reference
BRITO, L.; FIOLHAIS, M. & PROVIDÊNCIA, C. Ed. (1999). Campo Electromagnético. McGraw-Hill de Portugal.
GRIFFITHS, D. J. (1999). Introduction to Electrodynamics. 3rd ed. Prentice Hall International, Inc.
WANGSNESS, R. K. (1979). Electromagnetic Fields. 2nd ed. N.Y.: John Wiley & Sons.
Apontamentos do MIT, http://web.mit.edu/8.02t/www/, Liao et al.