1. Electrostatic field: Gauss?s law; electric field and electric potential; local equations of the electrostatic field and boundary conditions. Poisson and Laplace equations. Energy stored in the electric field.
2. Fields in dielectric media; classification of the dielectrics.
3. Magnetic field: Ampère?s law. Magnetic flux and Gauss?s law for the magnetic field. Local equations and boundary conditions for the magnetic field. Mutual and self-inductance. Energy stored in the magnetic field. Lorentz force and its applications.
4. Fields in magnetic media; behaviour of the various magnetic materials.
5. Electromagnetic induction: Faraday and Lenz?s laws. Maxwell equations. Wave equations for the electric and magnetic fields; unification of electromagnetism and optics. Poynting?s Theorem. Hertz experiment.
6. Transition regimes and stationary regimes in different types of circuits; oscillating circuits; analysis of circuits with alternating voltage sources.
Bibliography of reference
Griffiths, D. J., Introduction to Electrodynamics. 3rd ed. Prentice Hall International, Inc., New Jersey, 1999.
Brito, L., Fiolhais, M. e Providência, C., Campo Electromagnético, Ed. McGraw-Hill de Portugal, 1999.
Henriques, A. B. e Romão, J. C., Electromagnetismo, IST Press, Lisboa, 2006.
Feynman, R. P., Leigton, R. B. e Sands, M., The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Vol. 2, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1977.
Lorrain, P., Corson, D. e Lorrain, F., Campos e Ondas Electromagnéticas, Ed. Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Lisboa, 2000.
Wangsness, R. K., Electromagnetic Fields. 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Nova Iorque, 1979.