1. Atomic nucleus.
2. Binding energy and the Weizsäcker formula.
3. Radioactive decay law.
4. Radioactivity: alpha, beta, gamma, electron capture and internal conversion decay; energetic aspects, partial and total half-lives
5. Collisions and nuclear reactions.
II - Radiação Ionizante
1. Sources: radioisotopes, X-ray tubes and sincrotron radiation
2. Interaction of ionizing radiation with matter
2. 1. Energy loss of a heavy particle in matter: Bethe-Bloch expression
2.3. Energy loss of electrons - atomic collisions and bremstrahlung
2.4. Range of particles
2.3. Photon interactions
3. Radiation detectors.
3.1. Types of detectors and performance parameters
3.2. Ionizing chambers, proportional counters and Geiger counters
3.4. Scintillators and photodetectors. Gamma spectroscopy.
III- X-rays sources and their spectra
IV - Medical imaging techniques using ionizing radiation.
Bibliography of reference
Intermediate physics for medicine and biology, Russell K. Hobbie, 3rd ed, New York : Springer-Verlag, 2001.