Characteristics of the nervous system:
- Cellular components of the nervous system (neurons and glia) and the cytoskeleton
-The central and peripheral nervous system: structure/function relationship
Cerebral energetic metabolism
Electrochemical characteristics of nervous cells:
- Neuronal excitability and ionic fluxes
- Ionic channels and transporters
- Role of myelinization in conductance of nervous impulse
- Electrical and chemical synapses
- Mechanisms of exocytosis and synaptic proteins
- Axonal transport
Inter- and intracellular signaling
- Main types of neurotransmitters and neuromodulators, membrane receptors and signaling pathways
- Neurotrophic and transcription factors
Neurobiology of senses
- Somato-sensorial system
- Vestibular system
Neuroendocrine system and the hypothalamus
Hippocampus and memory
Bibliography of reference
- Siegel GJ, Albers RW, Brady S, Price DL (2006) ?Basic Neurochemistry: Molecular, Cellular and Medical Aspects?, 7th edition, Elsevier Academic Press.
- Purves D, Augustine GJ, Fitzpatrick D, Hall WC, LaMantia A-S, McNamara JO, Williams SM (2008) ?Neuroscience?, 4th edition, Sinauer Associates Inc.
- Nadeau SE, Ferguson TS (2004) ?Medical Neuroscience?, 1st edition, Saunders ? Elsevier.
- Matthews GG (2001) ?Neurobiology: Molecules, Cells and Systems?. Blackwell Science, Inc.