The syllabus of the curricular unit of Neurobiology II will be divided according to the following themes related with cellular and molecular changes of the nervous system during ageing and in pathological situations, as well as the current therapeutic strategies:
1. Cellular and molecular mechanisms leading to neurodegeneration of different brain areas - influence of the ageing process.
2. Modifications of the nervous system in drug addiction.
3. Neuropathological changes associated with various diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system, and the current techniques used in diagnosis.
4. Identification of molecular and cellular therapeutic targets and the application of pharmacological, genetic and cell-based therapies.
Bibliography of reference
- Brady S, Siegel GJ, Albers RW, Price DL (2011) ?Basic Neurochemistry: Principles of Molecular, Cellular, and Medical Neurobiology?, 8 Ed., Academic Press.
- Purves D, Augustine GJ, Fitzpatrick D, Hall WC, LaMantia A-S, White LE (2012) ?Neuroscience?, 5 Ed., Sinauer Associates Inc.