1. General aspects
Quantities and units; representation of numeric values; notions of dimensional analysis; mass and chemical reactions.
2. Structure of matter: atomic theory
Atoms, molecules and ions, quantum theory and atomic structure, the periodic table.
Chemical bonding, molecular geometry and symmetry.
4. Gases, liquids and solids
Laws and properties of gases; real gases; intermolecular forces and condensed states.
5. Phase equilibria and solutions
Changes of state. Phase equilibria. Phase diagrams. Phase rule. Ideal solutions. Partial molar quantities. Raoult's law. Henry's Law. Colligative properties. Real solutions and activities.
Bibliography of reference
1. R. Chang, Chemistry, 8th Ed., McGraw-Hill (New York, 2004);
2. P. Atkins and L. Jones, Chemical Principles: the quest for insight, 5th Ed., Freeman (New York, 2010).