Introduction to molecular spectroscopy. Interaction of radiation with matter. Types of spectroscopies: NMR, EPR, Electronic absorption (UV-Vis), circular dicroism, luminescence, vibrational ? IR and Raman (normal and resonance), Light scattering - Rayleigh inelastic, dynamic and Raman (normal and resonance), electron diffraction, electron microscopy and mass spectrometry. For each technique: physical basis, spectral parameters and interpretation, applications in Biochemistry, Byophysics, Biology and Medicine. As examples, the following are shown in more detail. NMR: examples in biological systems: proteins, nucleic acids and biomembranes. Metabolic and clinical studies. Introduction to MRI. Contrast agents. In EPR: Spin traps, spin probes, metalloproteins. In Uv-VIS: chromophores, selection rules and band intensities, hypochromism, optical activity of ORD and CD bands. In luminescence: fluorescence an phosphorescence, quantum yields, quenching.
Bibliography of reference
- ?Ressonância Magnética Nuclear- Fundamentos, Métodos e Aplicações?, V.M.S. Gil e C.F.G.C. Geraldes, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, 2.ª edição, Lisboa, 2002
- ?Physical Biochemistry?, K.E. Van Holde, Prentice Hall, N. Jersey, 1985.
- ?Biophysical Chemistry, Part II: Techniques for the Study of Biological Structure and Function?, C: R. Cantor e P. R. Schimmel, Freeman, New York, 1980.
- ?Physical Methods for Chemists?, R.S. Drago, Saunders, Ft. Worth, 1992.
- ?Biomolecular NMR Spectroscopy?, J.N.S Evans, Oxford University Press (1995)
- ?Fundamentals of Protein NMR Spectroscopy in Structural Biology?, G.S. Rule e T.K. Hitchens, Springer (2005)
- ?Protein NMR for the Millenium?, N.R. Krishna, L.J. Berliner, Springer (2003).
?Mass Spectrometry in Biophysics: Conformation and Dynamics of Biomolecules?, Kaltashov I. A. e Eyles S. J., Willey and Sons, Inc., 2005.
- "Vibrational spectroscopy in Life Sciences" - Friedrich Siebert and Peter Hildebrandt, Wiley 2007